Resources » Handbook-Parent/Student » Breakfast / Lunch Program

Breakfast / Lunch Program

Crescent is operating under the National School Lunch Program for the 23/24 School Year. Washington State HB 1238 requires Crescent School to provide free meals to all students for the 2023-2024 school year. Free and reduced price applications must continue to be collected to meet USDA program requirements and to maintain other state educational funding in addition to qualifying for free meals for 2024-2025 school year. 
For more information about Food Service, click here.
Our Intent: We are committed to ensuring all Crescent students continue to have access to meals and quality nutrition they need to grow, learn and thrive. Our department relies on student payments, in addition to federal reimbursements, to provide healthy, appealing and affordable meals to all students. We strive to be sensitive to students’ needs or any financial limitations over which they have no control. We want the meal service to remain a positive experience for all students.  We are committed to keeping private the identity of a student with insufficient funds to purchase a meal.






Elementary (K-5)


Adult or Visitor


Middle & High School (6-12)


Adult or Visitor NO Milk


Adult or Visitor




Adult or Visitor NO milk


A La Carte Item


A La Carte


Milk only

$  .50

Milk only

$  .50

Crescent school is an equal opportunity provider.

Fat free chocolate milk and 1% white milk are offered at all lunch meals.


The state food program does not pay for milks purchased as a single item. Students

who bring a sack lunch to school and would like to receive a school provided milk

will be charged $0.50 for their milk.

In order to have your student’s food service account in good standing, you may provide payment in the following ways:
Picture of bills and coins
We do not accept Canadian money or any other foreign currency.
Please send in a sealed baggie or envelope with the student’s first and last name.  The full amount will be deposited.
Personal Check
Picture of a bank check
Make check payable to Crescent School District.
Checks returned for non-sufficient funds:  parent/guardian will be responsible to pay the associated bank charge(s), and subsequent payments will be required in another form.
Debit or Credit Card
Pay Online
The district does not want to burden any family with unpaid accumulating debt. When a student’s account drops below zero, an automated phone call will be made to the family.  Automated phone calls go out twice a week.  After five meals have been charged without sufficient funds in the account, the business manager, the school principal, or a school counselor will contact the parent/guardian to determine a remedy to make the student’s account whole again. At no time will the student be denied a meal for non-sufficient funds.  Every precaution will be made to protect the student’s identity.

Crescent staff may charge meals on account.  Staff members may check their balance in Skyward or contact the school office at any time to find out their balance.  We encourage all staff members to keep their account current with a positive amount.  If the account becomes negative, the staff member will be notified, and the account must be paid in full in a timely manner.
We make every effort to communicate any unpaid account balance information directly with the parent/guardian of the household.  We do not offer chores for a meal, provide hand-stamps, or give any account balance notes directly to the student, although we may send a sealed envelope addressed to the parent home with the student. A parent may check their students account balance at any time in Skyward or by contacting someone in the office.
Automated phone calls reach all households for any unpaid meal charges every Monday and Thursday evening around 5 p.m. The automated phone call will state the student’s name and unpaid account balance.
A student’s balance (either positive or negative) will remain pending and will follow a student year to year. If your student is leaving the district, any unpaid meal charges will need to be paid in full. Please contact the business manager if your student has a positive account balance and you would like a refund, or if you would like to transfer the balance to another student. We contact all graduating senior households to initiate this process each June.
We will continue to contact the household through automated messages or direct communications to get a student’s account in good standing. Federal requirements require all uncollectable debt must be written off as operating losses. The business manager will use clear documentation in the event there is an account determined to be uncollectible. Repayment of debt resulting from unpaid meal charges is an unallowable cost; therefore, we must restore using non-federal funds (i.e. general fund, special funding from state or local government, or any other non-federal sources).
We only accept cash to repay any NSF check returned by the bank. Until it has been paid we can no longer accept checks from the household. If the district receives three NSF checks from the same household during the school year, our district guidelines state that no further checks will be accepted in the district for that current year.
You may request a refund at any point during the school year.  When a student leaves the district, a refund will be initiated in the check-out process.  If a graduating student has a family-member-student still in the district, we may ask the family if they would like to transfer the balance to the sibling’s account.  Upon request by the parent/guardian, the balance may be donated to another student’s account who is not a family member. Households approved for reduced price benefits, however, must receive a refund.  
For refunds, contact the business office at 360-928-3311 ext. 1005. Refund checks will be mailed to the parent/guardian’s home 1-2 weeks after the request has been made.

Occasionally our department will receive local monetary donations to pay off student unpaid meal charges. Any student account impacted by a donation will be documented clearly.
These guidelines will be communicated to households each year so that school district employees, families and students have a shared understanding of expectations regarding meal charges.

Online: Child Nutrition/Food Services tab and in the student handbooks of the Crescent School Website.
Printed: In student handbooks distributed manually to each household at the beginning of the school year and when new students enroll.  Also available in print upon request.

Electronically: Emailed to staff members at the beginning of each school year.
If your child has food allergies or other special food requirements please complete and return the form "Dietary Needs" which is available from the school office or on our website. This form supplies our school food service personnel with important information from you and your physician regarding your child's special food requirements. This form must be signed by your physician.

Procedure 6700 - Nutrition, Health and Physical Fitness - was adopted in June 2017 and is available on the Crescent website under School Board Policies & Procedures.
Where there is a need and family income is within guidelines set by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction, application for free and reduced price lunches may be made through the school business office or on our website.
The state food program does not pay for milks purchased as a single item. Students who bring a sack lunch to school and would like to receive a school provided milk will be charged $0.50 for their milk.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; fax: (202) 690-7442; or email: [email protected].
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.