The elementary students have been preparing for our fourth annual Stone Soup day - on Friday September 27. This event started in fall of 2016 when we had our first harvest from the school garden. The theme of sharing and harvest is celebrated on Friday when all of the students get to add their harvest to the stone soup pot. The wonderful ladies in the cafeteria cook it, and the students get to eat stone soup at lunch!
Elementary leaders - the fifth graders - have buddied up with each younger grade and taken them up to the garden to harvest:
- Kindergarten picked tomatoes
- First grade picked cucumbers (side dish)
- Second grade dug potatoes
- Third grade picked carrots
- Fourth grade picked zucchini
- Fifth grade will add garlic, and
- Mrs. Hopper's preschool class will add veggies from their plot in the school garden.
Additionally, Teachers in all elementary classes have been reading aloud different versions of the stone soup story, and discussing it with students.
And, to top it all off, Mrs. Schermer's third graders have been practicing a Stone Soup readers theater all week and will perform for the entire elementary on Friday, September 27th!